Home office, i.e. remote work, is an increasingly popular phenomenon in the functioning of many companies. Until recently, it was something unknown, reserved only for a few professions. Many employees dreamed of being able to perform their daily duties from the comfort of their home. The past year has shown that a really large number of employees can perform their duties from home. So what are the pros and cons of working remotely? Is it an effective method?
1. Save time and money. The employee does not waste time commuting to work, standing in a traffic jam or waiting for a late bus, which causes nervousness and unnecessary stress. Additionally, it saves money that would be spent on fuel and tickets.
2. Work from any place on earth, which gives the opportunity to work not only in the place of residence, but also in places where it is pleasant and comfortable. A great advantage for people who like to travel.
3. An employee with mild health problems, not requiring a sick leave, may stay and work from home without remorse. It is also an ideal option for people with chronic illnesses or with mobility problems.
4. Flexible working hours. One does not have to perform one’s duties in a strictly defined time. It gives you a feeling of freedom and freedom of action.
5. Independence. The imposed tasks are performed without the supervision of the immediate superior, giving freedom and time flexibility.
1. You have to have really strong self-denial to perform the assigned task diligently and on time.
2. Distracting distractions of which there are many in the home. It could be another family member, TV or even a pet.
3. Lack of company. It becomes annoying for people who like contact with other people and feel better in the company of colleagues than when being alone at home.
4. Separation of work from private life and the ability to organize time. Research shows that people working from home usually work longer than in the office, which can cause problems with the separation of work and private life. At the same time, you need to learn how to organize your time and tasks in order to complete the assigned tasks on time.
5. Home office organization. Properly planned space, plenty of space, law and order contribute to the effective performance of one’s duties.
The above-mentioned advantages and disadvantages of working in the home office system have been shown from the employee’s perspective. So what are the strengths and weaknesses for the employer?
1. Productivity. Workers performing their duties from home are more effective. Increased productivity is also associated with prolonged working hours.
2. Savings. The employer does not have to maintain an office, pay bills for water and electricity.
3. Interest in the enterprise. Companies offering work remotely enjoy a greater interest in new employees whom they would like to hire.
1. Employers are concerned that employees who perform their tasks from home do not work or do it with improper care.
2. We have no direct control over the work of employees. We are forced to invent new methods and allocate more time to it than in the case of working in the office, where employee control is much easier.
Working remotely is not intended for all professions and it is not for every employee. Self-denial and organization of working time are important, because without it it will be difficult to cope with everyday duties. The problem may also be the efficient flow of information between the team, which may be difficult in remote work. At the very beginning, it is important to define specific rules for working from home, because without it, the employee’s efficiency may be much lower.